If your plan to lose weight is by drinking diet soda, you better think again. Although you may believe that diet soda is your answer to reverse fat gain, you really should know the truth. Diet soda, although the apparent panacea to losing weight, turns out to actually cause you to gain weight!
Tag: body fat
I don’t know about you, but I was born lazy. I don’t like to work any more than I need to. That includes exercise. So if you think this article is about working out or exercising hard, you’re in the wrong place ! BUT, if you want to lose weight without working out hard, you need to read this article completely.
I think we need to be more like animals in nature. I like watching those nature programs. The BBC created a documentary called “Planet Earth” that I recently watched in its entirety. I particularly appreciate those male lions lying out there on the Savannah. That is the way we need to be. This is purely natural for these powerful animals. It’s also natural for us.
In order to lose weight, exercise is necessary only as much, as your body naturally loses its own weight. If you look at ads for weight loss, you see a lot of glissening bodies of muscular male and female models working out. I can tell you that I look great too, but I only spend 35 minutes in the gym 4 times per week.
Here are the scientific facts of how your body really loses weight on your behalf:
1. Resting Metabolism Rate - this is the number of calories your body burns per day while you are doing absolutely nothing…watching TV, sleeping, arranging your little animals in Farmville. It is roughly approximated by the Harris-Benedict equation. This formula is the result of scientific studies and estimates your calorie burn rate (calories per day) based on age, gender, weight and height. If you are already eating less than this amount, you are already losing weight and would most likely not even be reading this article. If not, read on…
2. Basal Metabolism Rate – Depending on your activity level, you can actually find out how many calories you will burn per day. This applies a factor to the calorie amount in Step #1 above based on your activity level. To lose weight, you need to eat less calories than this resulting number. This activity level elevates your metabolism both during activity and for a few hours after your activity. The problem is that for guys that need to lose a lot of weight, getting the cardio ramped up to a level where it really starts to burn significant calories is just not going to happen early on in the program. That is why the big burn comes from strength training.
3.Strength Training – This is the BIG BURN. When you build muscle mass, you are increasing the calorie burn all day long. You heard that right…..When you have increased your lean body mass with strength training, you’re burning calories all day, not only while you exercise like aerobic activity. This is because when you do strength training, you are tearing down your muscles. When you tear muscles, the body repairs them with calories, nutrients and vitamins that you eat. When muscles are torn, they repair WAY stronger than before. So your body is using up calories to build your muscles.
Here’s What To Do
From an interesting article on Strength Training and Weight Loss, it’s necessary to do about 30 minutes of strength training 2 to 3 times per week in order for your body to lose its own weight. Strength training for weight loss is the use of external resistance of exercise motion, against your normal muscular contraction to build muscle.
If you look at my strength training program, you’ll see that I utilize two separate workouts so that I don’t do the same workout, 2 days in a row. This is because muscles need some time to repair and I don’t want to work these muscles in two consecutive days.
1. Create a list of strength training exercises that you will do today. You need to work all the major muscle groups – chest, back, shoulder, triceps, biceps, abdomen, calfs, quadriceps, hamstrings. For today, choose only four of these – maybe work on chest, biceps, shoulders and quads.
2. Create a second list of strength training exercises that you will do tomorrow. Remember to include work on the abdomen muscles. Note that you cannot “spot remove” belly fat or love handles (or anywhere else either) by doing any type of strength training. Weight loss can only happen by reducing body fat evenly over the body.
3. Perform #1 and #2 alternatively throughout the week. At least two times per week. It is not necessary to do a total of more than 5 total workouts per week.
So, now you have 2 lists of exercises that you need to do to accomplish your weight loss goals. The best thing is to start right now. Notice, I didn’t say that you have to do these in a gym. For instance for chest, you can just do push-ups on your living room floor. So start now, with 15 push-ups.
Stay tuned. Due to the fact that strength training has such a profound impact on male weight loss, I will be writing in much more detail for your benefit. Let me know what kinds of questions that you have by writing in the comments area. Thanks for stopping by.
OK, I won’t bore you and tell you again that you need to drink more water per day. You already know this. Weight loss and drinking water are absolutely related. Perhaps knowing the scientific reasons for drinking more water will help you decide to drink more water, but probably not.
BUT, if I were to to tell that when you drink more water, that your body will burn its own fat, would you finally decide to drink more water? Let me give you the facts. I will also give you an exact plan that you can use to drink the water you need.
Everyone has an established habit about drinking water. When I was a boy, my Dad used to love to go fishing. My Dad is and was a minimalist. He would go out with the absolute minimum amount of equipment because sometimes he would need to walk through the woods for a mile or so to find a secluded fishing spot.
Water, was not on my Dad’s list of things to carry a mile. We would be out for the whole day with nothing to drink, at all, all day. I was very thirsty, but I refused to complain, because I learned early that that is not what men do. So I grew up, as water-independent, as a desert camel.
Maybe you have reasons for how much water you drink. The Institute of Medicine recommends that men drink 3 liters of water per day. The Mayo Clinic shows that about 80% of your water intake comes from water and other beverages, and 20 % from foods. Foods like tomatoes, watermelons and other succulent fruits and vegetables are nearly 90% water.
To know why you need to drink more water to burn fat, you need to know these three facts that will change your mind:
- Fat Metabolism Slows Without Water - being even 1 percent dehydrated can cause a significant drop in your metabolism, which can also interfere with weight loss. Just so you know, metabolism is measured in how many calories your body will burn for you per hour. From an article on water’s effect on fat metabolism : very simply, your liver is the organ that metabolizes (or burns) fat. Fat is burned in the liver into usable energy for the body. This is the process of burning fat and is the major process for losing weight. When you don’t drink enough water, it is actually your kidneys that can’t do their job due to the lack of water. OK, now your kidneys are the organs that filter waste products from your blood and they require a lot of water to work properly. When you are low on water (dehydrated) the kidneys slow down and the liver has to pick up the slack to filter out the waste. This means that the liver now has to do the kidney’s job of ridding your body of toxins and is now too busy to metabolize fat, thus fat metabolism slows down and you lose less weight. So when you are low on water, you aren’t burning as much fat!
- Don’t Get Any Fatter Now, By Drinking More Water Now – from Dr. Melina Jampolis , Physician Nutrition Specialist she states that published in 2008 in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, people who drank water before meals ate an average of 75 fewer calories at that meal. This may not seem like much, but if you ate 75 fewer calories at lunch and dinner for the next year, you could lose about 14½ pounds! Drink water before a meal and you won’t gain more fat.
- Drinking water burns calories immediately - Wendy Bumgardner a certified marathon coach, states that drinking water burns calories within one hour. She states that for every 1 liter of water you can burn about 50 calories (which is about 5 M&M’s, plain, not peanut). This is not many calories, but is based on the fact the stomach needs to warm the water and uses about those many calories. This is also backed by findings of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, December, 2003. The big finding is that for men, the calories burned comes from stored fat.
Based on these huge findings, here is what to do with water to get your body into a fat burning machine. Just do these two things:
- Drink 2 – 12oz glasses of water before every meal and drink 1 – 12oz glass of water between any smaller meal or snack. As I advise my clients, if you are at a restaurant, do not even order food before you drink two glasses of water. If you follow this one routine before you eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day, you will have drunk nearly 3 liters of water per day. I do this every day and it is a habit that I have gotten accustomed to really quickly.
- Watch Yourself! - do you frequently have headaches? You might need more water. Check your urine. Do you urinate very little. If your urine is smelly or yellow, you might be low on water. Is your skin dry? Is your mouth dry? These are more signs of dehydration. Watch how you feel and look. Adjust the water in step #1 up to more water if these or other symptoms are frequent.
OK, right now, just drink a glass of water, and then think about what I just told you. Based on statistical facts, if you’re reading this, you probably need to drop some weight. And further that if you are fat, by scientific fact, you are not using water to lose your weight for you. How many times do you need to be told to drink more water? Please follow someone’s advice. I hope that this article has finally lit a fire under your ass, to make a change that will allow your body to lose weight itself.
Won’t that be nice?
If you could push a button and immediately have the body of a Greek god, with rippling muscles and 8% body fat, you would probably gladly pay a pile of money. Just imagine looking in the mirror at your bare, solid, glistening abdomen and not being able to look away. The feeling of male invincibility would be intoxicating. Well it can happen. But it just isn’t going to happen at the push of a button. But there is one other thing about this that may be on your mind about this weight loss.
The Fear of Loose Skin
I have talked with a lot of guys about looking iconic and they can really picture this. The one thing that they start worrying about when they picture this and that is…..loose skin. Fat guys picture that their skin is filled up like a big balloon blown up by pounds and pounds of fat. Then they think that when they lose weight, that the fat is going to go out of their body and leave a limp, outstretched bag of flailing skin on their emaciated frame. Some of this could be true if you do not watch how you loose weight. But this is of course a lot of exaggeration, but some cautions are called for here.
The Body Fat Facts
Right now, you have a certain body fat content. If you weigh 250 pounds and your body fat percentage is 30% , that means that you have 75 pounds of fat and 175 pounds lean body mass (muscle, bones, organs, fluids). At the beginning of a weight loss program, men lose weight anyway they can. Here is the rub. Loose skin is not just skin, but actually quite a bit of fat. Here is how this happens.
When you start losing weight, often, this weight loss comes at the expense of both muscle loss and fat loss. When you finally reach your goal weight, if you do not pay attention to fat loss and building muscle mass, you may end up with a baggy belly. What happens is that you lose muscle mass as a result of your hard-earned eating habits.
For each pound of fat, there is about 3,500 calories stored, whereas each pound of muscle contains only about 600 calories. According to Ron Brown over at Body Fat Guide, when you fast 60% of the weight loss comes from muscle and 40% comes from fat! Ouch! So it is really easy to start chewing up muscle mass when you start drastically cutting calories without any exercise. Not recommended. In addition, muscle is largely composed of fluid which can be lost very easily.
Here is a little saying that I created that makes all this easy to remember: “Fat is meant to be stored, muscle is meant to be used.” Here is how you avoid losing the muscle mass but lose weight at the same time.
What To Do
Dieting and exercise need to go hand in hand. I used to think that exercise was the only way to weight loss. I never had to worry about loose skin because if I lost some weight, my lean body mass was always very high. Many men think that exercise is the only way to lose fat. However, if you do not exercise or have not exercised much, you will need to really pay attention to what I am going to tell you.
Stay on a weight loss path. Eat a daily caloric intake below the energy balance levels for your age. Very simply, eat less than your body needs in calories per day. See “How Much Food Does Your Body Need?” Make sure that you eat the right kinds of food – proteins, vegetables, fruits, and at least 80 oz of water per day. If you are still eating foods with a lot of white bread, white sugar, soda, sweets or fast food, you have not been listening. I wonder when will you ever learn?
Start or continue a strength training program to build or maintain your muscle mass. Muscle mass will be built if you do some sort of strength program. Take a look at my Strength Training Program for ideas. There is no wrong answer for strength training when you are starting off….just do something. Don’t worry about making mistakes. You will put on muscle mass and that is good.
Start Right Now
Do this simple 2 step plan everyday. And just like learning to drive a car, starting a good habit and keeping it rolling is the whole answer. Try doing these two things everyday:
- Keep track of your daily calories and make sure that you eat less than the calories that your body needs. Use a daily calorie log and really keep track of everything you eat. I use a free web resource called Physics Diet. I am going to create a video about how to use this thing soon. Even if you are not yet eating less than you need, keep track of the calories anyway. Writing down all of the things that you are eating now, is a great way to become aware of how much you really are eating.
- Do strength training 3 to 5 times per week. This does not need to hurt. Just start doing some push-ups and sit-ups on the floor every day. It won’t take you very long. 15 minutes of this work will really pay off. You don’t need to like it, you just need to do it. You can advance to a gym when you feel comfortable doing so. If you are already going to a gym, exercise all the major muscles of your body so that you get the most muscle build overall.
You are going to be proud of the new powerhouse that is growing under that fat cover. You may not see it, but when you do the above two things every day, you will lose weight and KNOW you will look great.